Bill Ging of the Oakland Press published another Supermarket Sommelier column this week. Although it was not about Michigan wines this time (see Michigan wines mentioned in last week's column), I thought it was interesting enough to link to it.For his column, he tastes Charles Shaw wine offered by Trader Joe's. He likes the 2007 Merlot and the 2007 Chardonnay, but doesn't care for the 2008 White Zinfandel. But at the price, he admits he would buy all of them again. "Two Buck Chuck" as it is affectionately known (or "Three Buck Chuck" here in Michigan) sells for $2.99 per bottle in Michigan.
I wanted to highlight this column because it brings to the table a very important discussion for Michigan wineries and the distribution for Michigan wines. The most common objection I hear when discussing Michigan wines is that there are cheaper alternatives for the same quality wines out of California and other parts of the world.
My question to you is, how do everyday affordable Michigan wines (those priced under $10 per bottle) compare with "2 Buck Chuck"? I look forward to reading your comments below.
I should mention that as I am writing this, I am enjoying a 2007 Charles Shaw Shiraz. I picked up a few bottles the other day while at Trader Joe's.
My initial impression on the nose is that of sweet tart candies. When I taste it, it is actually pretty smooth. I get a strong artificial grape flavor (think Faygo Grape pop). Not a lot of acid or alcohol burn. I remember tasting this same wine last year and the alcohol burn was very distinctive. It is a pretty thin wine and does not leave much on the back end.
Overall, it is pretty good for an everyday wine at $3. I really look at it as a value play. It doesn't excite me enough to go share with all of my friends, but the price ensures that I may pull out a few bottles at my next get together ;)

I agree with your notes on the Shiraz, however I'd prefer to double the modest investment and buy something a little nicer for $6. Two that come to mind are Gold Rush Red (California) and Trentatre Rosso (Italian). The Shaw Sauvignon Blanc however, is an everyday white that I happily buy at Trader Joe's. For the price, you can't beat it.
ReplyDelete