6/28/09

Simply Pink is Simply Summer

This was the end of the perfect week to pull out a bottle of chilled summer wine. It has been in he 80s and 90s all week, and I decided to pair a fruity blush wine with grilled hamburgers for dinner.
I chose St. Julian's Simply Pink for my summer wine of choice. I want to be upfront and tell you that I don't typically drink many blush wines. They are often too sweet and heavy for my palate. The alcohol also tends to overpower the fruit.
Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised by Simply Pink. I picked up a lot of fruit on the nose. I smell strong melons and cherries, which I pick up a lot in Michigan wines (I am sure it is psychological!).
After the first sip, the heavy fruit smell dissipated a bit. Don't get me wrong, I still taste the fruit, but it is not overpowering. I get more apple than cherry on the taste. It is not nearly as sweet as most blushes I have had. I would actually say it is more dry on the back end-- a sensation that I really like.
It is made with Pinot noir, Merlot, Cabernet franc, Cabernet sauvignon, and Seyval blanc. All grapes are from the Lake Michigan Shore appellation.
This wine is the perfect picnic wine. You could throw it in a cooler and head to the beach with this wine. I think even non wine drinkers would like this.
The best part is that a portion of the proceeds go to charity. St. Julian is teaming up with The National Breast Cancer Foundation and a portion of each bottle goes to fund cancer research and awareness. See my original article for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment