6/10/09

Who Says You Can't Cellar Michigan WInes?

For the first wine tasting, I decided to spit in the face of conventional wine wisdom and not taste the most recent vintage of a wine. I pulled a bottle of Chateau Grand Traverse Reserve Gamay Noir 2005 out of my wine rack and decided to open it. 
Why didn't I run to the wine store and buy the most recent release? Simple... I believe the best part of wine is that it can be drunk every day without the need for a special occasion or a special trip to the store. Just like most of you, I drink what I have on my rack.
This is probably not a wine that most people cellar for a long time, but I can tell you that after a year of proper storage, this wine is every bit as tasty as it was when it was released. 
This wine is 94% Gamay Noir and 4% Cabernet Franc. It was aged in oak for 24 months.
My first impression of the aroma was a wave of fruit passing over my nose. Not the overly candied fruity smell you get from some wines, but more of a nice deep red fruit smell. It almost reminded me of a mellow Malbec (another wine that I have been really into lately). The smell of cherry really comes through as you taste the wine. I also got a lot of black pepper spiciness on the back end. 
Overall, I really like this wine. It is not as big as a Cabernet Sauvignon or as fruity as a Zinfandel, but there is definitely a place on my wine palette for a simple everyday red wine from Michigan's own Chateau Grand Traverse.

5 comments:

  1. Right on the money. It's often puzzled me why we don't have more Gamay growing in Michigan; a number of winemakers produce it very successfully in Niagara.

    By the way -- welcome! Nice to have another MI consumer-oriented presence online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I look forward to being part of the online community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Cortney, Shannon's wife (a.k.a. the "sweet white" fan), checking in. We both independently took notes while tasting the Gamay Noir, and although I've really been expanding my palate beyond my beloved whites lately and into reds like zinfandel, chianti and malbcs, I'm still not there with this one. I got a leathery nose initially, followed by a combo of pepper and a sort of...rubbing alcohol scent. On second sniff, I also got a rubbery vibe. Spicy is the primary way I'd describe the taste. The pepper is there right from the start, with a sort of meat-y taste bringing up the rear...as I like to say, "pepperoni." Not my style, but maybe as I progress more into the drier reds, I'll change my mind. :) For now, I'll opt for things like the Chateau Chantal malbec - my favorite Michigan red thus far (we'll see if that changes during our tastings in a few weeks!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, let me echo my good friend Joel's words of welcome. It's always good to have another online advocate for Michigan wines, which are getting better every vintage.

    We love the wines of Chateau Grand Traverse, and while it's been almost 2 years since we've tried this particular selection, I'm not surprised that it's held up. CGT makes terrific wines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you geo t. I agree, Chateau Grand Traverse is one of the premier wineries in Northern Michigan. I think they do a great job with their tasting room at the winery.

    ReplyDelete