I had the pleasure of attending the Bowers Harbor Wine Release Party last week. Over 60 guests turned out to celebrate their newest releases. The weather cooperated and many of the guests could be found mulling about on the patio enjoying the wines and tasting the hot appetizers coming off the grill.
It resembled a family reunion, as the winery staff greeted most of the visitors by name and engaged each of them in conversation about summer plans, family, etc. I can assure you that everyone was having a great time.
Now on to the important part—the wines! This party was to introduce and promote their newest releases.
2008 Chardonnay RLS – This young white, spent 8 months in French Oak barrels. You could really taste the oak coming through, but it was not overpowering. It had a crisp finish, which I really enjoy in a Chardonnay. I think as this wine ages a bit, it will mellow out a little and will be a very good addition to the Chardonnays on
2008 Pinot Noir Rose – This is a dry rose (my favorite type of rose.) I picked up strong hints of cherry and watermelon. I instantly had visions of serving this wine on a hot summer evening while enjoying friends on our patio.
2008 Riesling, Block II – This was a gold medal winner at the International Eastern Wine Competition and a double gold medal winner at the San Francisco International Wine Chronicle. I really liked the citrus flavors that came through on this wine. You can taste the different levels of flavor, which can be explained by the harvesting schedule for these grapes. They harvested the grapes for this Riesling on three different dates, allowing some of the grapes to ripen more than the others.
If you get up to

No comments:
Post a Comment