7/16/09

Peninsula Cellars 2006 Semi-Dry Riesling

This evening my wife and I opened a bottle of Peninsula Cellars 2006 Semi-Dry Riesling. We picked up this bottle at the winery on our recent trip to Peninsula Cellars, which you can read about here.
More often than not, I enjoy wine as a cocktail, not as part of a food pairing. I know that makes the winemakers cringe and the Europeans laugh, but I like to enjoy the full flavor of the wine. Don't get me wrong, I do drink wine with nice meals (and even popcorn as my recent tweets proclaim), but most of the time I am just enjoying a delightful glass of wine by itself.
We wanted a light refreshing white wine, served chilled to enjoy in the 80 degree evening. The Semi-Dry Riesling was the perfect choice.
It was bold enough to stand on its own, which is what I look for in a good white wine. The tropical fruits overtake you without being too sweet. I envision little pineapples and mangos dancing in my mouth while I sip.
I love the tang that lingers on the back end. In fact, I finished my last glass twenty minutes ago and the back of my tongue is still puckering.
Overall, this wine is delicious. It satisfies my wife who likes white wines on the sweeter side, but it also satisfied my palate, which tends to prefer big bold wines. At $15 per bottle, it is neither overpriced or a bargain. I think it is a fair price for an enjoyable wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment