In honor of the upcoming Cab Franc Challenge this Thursday, I decided to pick up a bottle of Cab Franc that won't be at the competition. I chose Krolczyk Cellars 2006 Cabernet Franc.
I really like the art on the label. Too many Michigan wineries allow their 12 year old children to design their labels. I am happy to see that Krolczyz Cellars takes the design seriously. Now, I would never chose a bottle of wine based solely on the label, but I have certainly passed on bottles with terrible labels.
Although I like the graphics on the label, there is not much information. No blend info, short tasting notes, or anything on the winery. I prefer to get some info from the label, but fortunately my wine shop manager (Adam at Nino Salvaggio) recommended this wine.
I found online that this wine is 70% Cabernet Franc and 30% Merlot. It was aged in French Oak.
I got the usual berry and cherry scents on the nose. I also picked up spearmint. This may be the first mint that I have ever picked up on a wine. It was intriguing.
I also tasted a bit of mint on my first taste. The cinnamon and cherry flavors really come through. I would say it has low to medium tannins, and would consider it a medium bodies red wine.
It was easy drinking and I enjoyed it very much. It didn't resonate with me as much as the Cab Francs from 2 Lads or Forty-Five North, but it definitely has something to offer.
I will certainly pick up other offerings from Krolczyk Cellars and I look forward to arranging a visit to their tasting room.

No comments:
Post a Comment