8/8/09

Mackinaw Trail Winery Big Red Goes Down Easy

I finally did it. I made myself move past the big buck staring at me on the label and picked up a bottle of Big Red from Mackinaw Trail Winery. It was one of the few Michigan red wines that my wine shop carries (I will save this rant for another day...)

I have been wanting to try this wine since it won Best in Class in the 2009 International Wine Competition. I am also from Manistique, in the Upper Peninsula, so this winery has special intrigue to me.

I really like the aroma as I pop the cork and pour the wine into my glass. I smell the oak and light berries. I also smell some strawberry twizzler action going on. 

I like what I smell, so I decide to taste (like there was any question!) It is really soft. Nothing offensive at all. I do taste the oak, ever so slightly. There is nothing overpowering about it. I expected a big burst of flavor (ie Big Red), but it is more balanced.

The fruit tastes more tropical than most reds. I typically gravitate towards big bold reds, but sometimes a more smooth and mellow red is what you are looking for. That is how I would characterize this wine. It goes down smooth, and is very fruit forward.

All of the oomph is on the front end and in the middle. There is not much on the back end. I think it would pair nicely with food because it is not too powerful. I would have to say it is an easy drinking red table wine. The second glass went down even nicer than the first. I really enjoyed the flavor of this wine.

I am not sure what grapes are blended to make this wine, but the flavor reminds me of a Cabernet Franc, while I equate the lightness to a Michigan Pinot Noir. Fans of either varietal would probably like this wine. Because of its lightness, this could be a good way to get white wine lovers to try a red. 

This wine retails for $13.50 in their tasting room or on their website. I paid slightly more than that at my wine shop. It is certainly worth picking up and enjoying a glass at the lodge!

No comments:

Post a Comment