8/18/09

Should Wineries Charge for Tastings?

A recent article in the Traverse City Record-Eagle got me thinking about whether or not wineries should charge for wine tastings. Let's dismiss the legal issues and local ordinances that surround it, and just focus on the business side of the equation. Similarly, let's dismiss the entitlement attitude. You may think you have a right to tax payer funded healthcare, but you have no right to free tastings. Michigan wineries need to make a profit or else we'll all be relegated to drinking Yellow Tail.

Most Michigan wineries that I have been to offer some type of free tasting. Many offer a paid tasting paired with food for their higher end wines in addition to their free tastings. There are a few that charge you for the pleasure of tasting any of their wine (with the exception of maybe one free taste).

When I first got into Michigan wine, I was appalled that wineries wanted to charge me for tasting their product (I was just out of college and money was tight.) I figured they were trying to entice me to buy, therefore tastes should be free. We targeted the free tastings on our winery tours and avoided the wineries that wanted to charge.

Nine times out of ten, I bought wine at the wineries that I visited. More times than not, I bought several bottles. Often, I would buy a case of mixed bottles from the winery. When I didn't purchase a bottle it wasn't because I didn't like the wine, it was most likely because I didn't think it was worth the price. I could get a comparable bottle down the road for less money.

Now that I am much more into wine and am able to devote more financial resources into my passion for Michigan wine, paid tastings don't bother me as much. I have seen a bus load of people storm the winery, taste everything on the menu and pile back onto the bus without opening up their wallets. These folks had no intention of trying the wine to see what they liked for a potential purchase. The tasting tour was the event they paid for. I understand that this can get very expensive for the wineries.

My concern for these wineries is that they are missing out on the opportunity to "hook" younger wine lovers early by alienating them with paid tastings. I find myself still avoiding these wineries today, not because I don't want to pay, but out of habit. I tend to stick to my favorite wineries that I visited early on in my wine loving career. I know that I may be missing out on some great wines, but conversely the wineries are missing out on a consumer who buys a lot of wine.

The solution? Easy. Offer a few wines for free and offer a wine tasting experience for a fee. I never complain about paid tastings at L. Mawby or Black Star Farms because of the experience. At L. Mawby, you get three complimentary pours and the opportunity to taste three more paired with food for a small fee. At Black Star Farms, you pay $3 for your glass ($5 for a couple) and you can bring the glasses back for free tastings in the future. We have had the same Black Star Farms glasses for over 5 years.

Another solution would be to refund the tasting fee if you purchase wine. A $20 bottle of wine isn't so daunting if you get the $3 you paid for the tasting fee applied to the bottle. In this scenario, everyone is a winner. Wineries can target consumers who are serious about possibly purchasing wine. Consumers can taste and know that their tasting is free if they buy a bottle. I am betting that the wineries would sell more wine this way and the added volume would more than make up for the loss of tasting fees.

I am also more apt to pay a tasting fee if I get some attention from the staff. If they operate their pours like an assembly line, I am less likely to enjoy the experience. If they take the time to talk about the wines, point out the subtleties, and guide me through the tasting, it is worth a few bucks.

Overall, I think Michigan wineries do a good job in their tasting rooms. I am committing to visit all of the tasting rooms in Michigan over the next year (yes, even those that charge!) and report back to you my experiences. I will also be revamping my site to include pages on each of the wineries with resources such as their tasting menus, fees, video, etc. so you know what to expect on your next wine tasting.

1 comment:

  1. You raise some good points that I pretty much agree with. I do enjoy the free tastings and would hate to see them go but the wineries deserve to stay in business too.
    Almost every tasting I've been to offer a good selection of wine to taste and then will charge for a taste of something special, that has always worked well. Also the wineries politely ask you limit yourself to only a few tastes but I've never seen it enforced because the staff is just as excited in educating you about their wine as I am to learn.

    I believe there is a good balance between free and paid tasting that everyone can agree on.

    ReplyDelete