6/11/09

A lame excuse not to offer more Michigan wine by the glass

Cari Noga wrote an interesting article in Crain's Detroit about how Michigan wineries need to expand their market by getting restaurants to start offering more Michigan wine by the glass. She quotes sommeliers who make excuses why they don't offer more Michigan wines. 
In a state where we are encouraged to drive Michigan cars and vacation in our backyard, I find it ironic that more Michigan restaurants aren't offering a decent selection of Michigan's own wine. I applaud Cari for asking the tough questions.

6 comments:

  1. I believe offering local wine and beer at a restaurant amplifies the dining experience. Plus, it supports the local economy...a win-win. I hope to see it happening more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Riverfront Cafe in Niles MI offers ONLY wines from SW Michigan. Over 35 wines all offered by the glass or bottle. As far as I know, we are the only restaurant in Michigan offering only local wines to our guests. And we couldn't be happier with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here here, Shannon. I couldn't agree more. Especially because I am most familiar with Michigan wines, and I like to know what I am getting into when I order by the glass, I would definitely appreciate more local selection at restaurants outside of the winery areas (ie, Traverse and SW Michigan) which do a decent job of offering the wines available just a few miles from them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to hear that the Riverfront Cafe is having good results selling MIchigan wines. I guess it proves that it can be done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. People also have to remember that a lot of Michigan Restraunts wont sell michigan wines because they dont make a high enough profit. Michigan wineries cant compete with $6 merlots from california when it comes to selling by the glass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand the economics behind it, but these same restaurants are asking me to drive a few extra miles and pay a few extra bucks to dine "locally" instead of eating at AppleBees, Champps, or some other national chain. I just think it is ironic.

    ReplyDelete